In the Spotlight- Moosubi Reviews!

It is Wednesday and another post of "In the Spotlight" where FBL spotlights a blogger.  Today, FBL welcomes Rachael and her wonderful blog Moosubi Reviews.

Here is a bit of trivia about Rachael:
Her name is Rachael, although sometimes people also call her Madison, so she adopted the alias Rachael-Madison.


When and how did you decide to be come a book blogger?
I decided to become a blogger in May! I'm not quite sure "how" I decided... it just happened! At that time I just started writing reviews and giving recommendations, and having a blog seemed like a good way to publish them. Plus, on Goodreads I knew a lot of bloggers who, like me, loved books, so I suppose that's how it happened(:

So far, what's the hardest part of being a book blogger?
For me, it's the time constraints. I'm actually still in high school so I shouldn't be too busy, but this summer I happened to be doing a lot of volunteering and summer classes. I didn't really have time to schedule posts or to network during the day, and I was pretty tired in the night. Still, I try my best!

What do you do when you are not blogging?
I'm assuming this also includes things that are related to blogging, like reading or networking. Otherwise, I'm a marching clarinetist & marimba player in winter percussion, and I swim :D I'm quite proud of my tan lines and callouses on my hands.

I love the header on your blog. Tell us how you went about choosing it and is there a meaning behind it.
Thanks so much :D  To be honest, there's not really much meaning behind it other than it's cute. "Moosubi" is a misspelling of "musubi", a japanese rice ball I practically live on and have an obsession with. It also happens to be my Tumblr URL, so that's how I decided on it. As for choosing it, I picked that particular banner because it was cute and used some fonts I downloaded to make the text. Erm. That's it :D

What genre(s) do you read, can you tell us what is it about the genre(s) that grabs your interest?
I mainly read YA anything (dystopian, sci-fi, UF, PNR, LGBT, romance, etc.), but sometimes I also read Adult Fantasy / Contemporary or Middle Grade Fantasy. I probably like YA because, erm, I'm a teenager and YA happens to entertain me (or, I guess, make me bawl or scream with joy). As for MG Fantasy, I read it because it's just so magical :D It's very, very entertaining and just a bunch of fun. I'm not quite sure why I read Adult Fiction - I suppose, like YA, it just happens to entertain me. But honestly, if the book isn't boring, doesn't offend me too much, and isn't too risque, I'll probably read it.



Who are your three favorite authors?
Ugh. Well. That's hard. Usually I only have to answer one (Melina Marchetta), so now I'll have to wheedle down two more. Hmm. Probably also Neal Shusterman (Unwind, Everlost, etc.) and Cynthia Hand (Unearthly series)

Which author would you like to meet (dead or alive)? Tell us more...
For now, it's definitely Melina Marchetta. I can't describe in words how amazing I think her books her. Everything just comes together, and the characters are amazingly developed and beautiful. If I end up meeting her though, I'd be the awkward person with a million books that she wants to get signed and will gush for ten minutes straight about how amazing her books and writing are.


How big is your TBR pile? How many books do you read/review a month? 
My TBR pile is huuuuge. On Goodreads, it's only listed at 410, but in reality, I still have a bunch of books I've bought from a year ago & still haven't read, along with lots of Kindle freebies. If I had to estimate, it's probably around 600 - 700 by now :/

During the summer, I probably read a lot more than during the school year, although the number probably varies. During May I read 39, April 10, June 45, and right now July has 31. As for reviewing, I probably complete around 20 reviews per month, maybe more depending on the number of review requests I complete. But again, it differs each month.

Finally, if someone wrote a biography about you, what do you think the title should be? 
Awkward Asian Girl Who Eats & Reads A Lot.

(First phrase describing me that popped up. Otherwise, it would just be titled Me) 

On A Personal Note
I live in NorCal, so I'm super lucky to be near places like NYMBC & Keplers! I love local authors & they're so sweet, despite the fact I'm so awkward =___=

That's about it :D & in case you're wondering:

Favorite Food: EVERYTHING. Well, not everything, but I especially like noodles & Oriental food! If you took a peek at my Tumblr, you might notice 1/2 the posts are scenery, and the other half is filled with food!

Favorite Books: Notice the plural haha! Some of my favorite books include:

Finnikin of the Rock (series),
The Piper's Son,
Saving Francesca,
& Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta
Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness
Five Flavors of Dumb by Antony John
Unearthly trilogy by Cynthia Hand
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
The Drowned Cities by Paolo Bacigalupi
Eon (series) by Alison Goodman
Unwind by Neal Shusterman
Poison Study by Maria V. Snyder
+ many, many more...

Favorite Anime: Code Geass, Full Metal Alchemist, Ao no Exorcist, Naruto, Kuroko no Basket, Tonari no Totoro, Fairy Tail

Where You Can Find Me:
Email: crystallaux@gmail.com
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/moosubi
Twitter: @ohmoosubi
Tumblr: http://www.moosubi.tumblr.com/ (no longer on hiatus! Not exactly book related, just mostly pretty pictures I like. I have another more book related blog here, but I don't really post there often)

2 comments:

Shmandarin said... Best Blogger Tips

love this! she's still in high school? that's so cool. i feel like i didn't even read in high school but things have definitely changed since then! She's also really funny. good highlight!
-Amanda over at http://shmandarinorange.blogspot.com

Kat ~ Forever Book Lover ♥ said... Best Blogger Tips

@Amanda I was very inspired by maintaining her blog and her school work. Kudos to Rachael!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for coming by, it means alot to me. Since you're here, I would love to hear from you, please leave a comment.